Monday, August 1, 2011

Listening and hearing

Until we are willing to listen to a person, we aren't willing to transform. I have been listening a lot lately, and recognize that there are times when I stop listening because I think I know what people are saying. I hear them speak, but I don't listen. I might think to myself "alrighty, I know what's coming here. I'll just think about my sandwich for a second." And the true listening begins at the MOMENT you want to stop listening. Just as in yoga, where the pose begins the moment you want to get out and the practice begins the moment you want to leave the room for a suddenly remembered meeting, listening begins the moment you want to turn off the listening.

And learning begins the moment you want to stop hearing and listening and start blabbing. I have also noticed that I talk when I am tired of listening. "This is intense, so I'm going to talk about my day." I am learning to live in that intense space of learning and listening. I have chosen a path where I have pledged to listen and learn from everyone, not just people who think just like I do, without turning off and ignoring their wisdom. And this, I believe, is the powerful practice for me this trip. I remain dedicated to listening, learning, and being okay about not presenting any grand ideas. I am here to listen and learn to each person. And that is where my practice is.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment