Monday, July 16, 2012

Failure and doom fortold, a guardian angel, and knowing I am not alone


Hi everyone.  Kathleen and I have made out way to Bethlehem, ready to plan and teach after some eye-opening time in Jerusalem.   We are spending tonight doing logistical planning and calming down after Jerusalem.  The thing about Jerusalem  that you don’t know until you get there is that it is intense.  Intense day and night.  Intense all week long.  Intense just walking down the street.  Intense in almost every personal interaction.  We are resting  and organizing to be ready to take OTYF to a new level here in Bethlehem!

Those of you who read the last blog post know we attended an Ashtanga workshop by Gilad Harouvi at Zman Yoga in Jerusalem – as Merav, the co-owner of Zman Yoga said, Mark Zuckerberg deserves a prize for connecting us.  When Merav found out about OTYF, she suggested doing a donation class!  Wonderful news!  So more connections have been made, more yogis are supportive of the idea of bringing yoga where it is needed in the world, to whoever needs it.  Right on, Zman Yoga!

Last night we decided to sit and relax on the patio of our guest house.  It looked peaceful and happy.  A group of people had gathered to talk and drink wine together and they asked us to join them.    The talk turned to what I was doing in Jerusalem.  I explained OTYF’s mission (to take yoga wherever it is needed), and outlined my plans.   I am not going to go into what was said in response to my words, but it was said with great fear and anger.   I will listen to people, but I won’t listen to someone tell me how I will fail miserably and why it isn’t worth the trouble to be of service.  It is terrifying, first of all, to assume other people’s fears.  I am lying if I say that they didn’t scare me.  I have been dealing with their voices in my head since yesterday and even writing about what they said scared me half way back on the airplane to Canada.  I kept repeating my motto: If someone says you can't do something, say WATCH ME.  But I needed to have someone else whisper it in my ear.  And it happened.

I had a guardian angel last night.  A tall blonde Dutch woman interrupted the conversation by saying “I don’t have any interest in joining this conversation, but I want to tell you,” and here she looked deep into my eyes, steadily, and with great love and kindness “that I have lived and worked in the West Bank for 5 years and it is NOTHING like they are saying it is.”  She squeezed my hand and walked away.   I felt calm, reassured, and okay.  Things were going to be okay.

Another salvation was the inspiring group of people at the Palestinian and Israeli music, art, struggle and rave on Sunday night.  These amazing people came together to create a space for co-creation: I danced with Palestinians and Israelis and people from all over the world to DAM, the original Palestinian hip hop group, founded in 1998 and inspired by Tupac Shakur; an awesome East Jerusalem/Old City hip hop group; and a mind-blowing reggae group who made me and Kathleen dance around like the 39 year old former Oregon hippie ladies that we were.

More important than the fun, though, was the inspiration and hope that the people at the party gave us.  This event was packed with people from all over, and they created art and music and dance and a crazy good time together.  I am so thankful to have been a part of the event, to see that co-creation is possible, and many people are working for it.  I know I am not alone in working to create a world where we can do yoga together, dance to incredible music together, connect and love without fear.  If I can add yoga to the mix, then I have done my part. And I will, because if I can, I must.

8 comments:

  1. Like the wise Mr. Eddie Vedder says in Giving to Fly::
    He could've tuned in, tuned in
    But he tuned out
    A bad time, nothing could save him
    Alone in a corridor, waiting, locked out
    He got up outta there, ran for hundreds of miles
    He made it to the ocean, had a smoke in a tree
    The wind rose up, set him down on his knee

    A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw
    Delivered him wings, "Hey, look at me now"
    Arms wide open with the sea as his floor

    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share
    His key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere
    But first he was stripped and then he was stabbed
    By faceless men, well, fuckers
    He still stands

    And he still gives his love, he just gives it away
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
    A human being that was given to fly

    Keep Flying Ruthie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Amber. I can't wait to see you here on Thursday! And they you will fly with me, too!

      Delete
  2. Typo; first line, "out" should be our.

    Now a question. How do you know when a place "needs" yoga, and more specifically, how did you determine that was true for Israel and Palestine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! When people ask for more yoga classes, and ask me to bring classes, I go. And as for needing yoga, it is a question of where it is available and who can access it. And it isn't accessible for most Palestinians. It is fairly available to Jewish communities in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, but when they ask me to lead a workshop, I go.

      Delete
  3. Ruthie, you're not alone, I'm with you each day in spirit and I believe you can do it.LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday I was just telling someone: if someone says you can't do it, reply with just watch me. Don't ever give up, don't ever for a minute think that even a few seconds of love and light in someone's life is not worth it. All it takes is a few seconds and someone's life can be turned around. Namaste.

    Maria Basia
    www.pasionespanola.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Maria! Your words mean a lot to us. It is easy to forget that every connection is love when we get overwhelmed by what is happening in the world. But every moment is an opportunity for love and light. xoxo

    ReplyDelete