Thursday, July 5, 2012

How a free massage saved my life and why YOU need to know about OTYF, by Amber Thompson, OTYF teacher and ambassador!



This summer I am embarking on a journey to share my voice and gifts with Israelis and Palestinians with Olive Tree Yoga Foundation. This is my story of how I joined the amazing troop of ladies traveling to the Middle East, summer 2012.  
 
2010 simply put, was 'not my year'. I had the bare necessities to survive, but I was essentially disconnected from everything. All the cliches: ended a long-term relationship, gained 30 lbs, was in debt, couldn't afford a place to live, I was sleeping in a friend's basement. Then I lost my job and that was it. I sunk so low that I wouldn't even tell my close friends or family because I was too embarrassed. Deep in a depression, I thought very seriously about ending my life. I was so disconnected from my family that I couldn't even turn to them. I went to the one place where I always felt part of something, Ruthie's yoga class. Ruthie is one of those people that truly is lit from within. The type of person who accepts you as you are, but also nudges you to grow. That perfect blend of encouraging and nurturing. She was my only light that day.  I drove to class, rolled out my yoga mat, and continued felling sorry for myself. She guided the entire room through a beautiful yoga sequence, she talked often of possibility and opportunities. Her words landed with me. Perhaps I too could have opportunities?  That day was a special day at Bliss Flow (the studio where she teaches) and to celebrate, one lucky yogi in the class got a free massage. I won. Ruthie read my name and I started to cry, I turned to the class and told them, "I lost my job this week", six words that started to transform me because they were the truth.
 
Ruthie grabbed my hand and said, "this is just the beginning, what is it that you've always wanted to do but were too afraid?", and I replied, "I need to be a yoga teacher", she said, "yes, that is what you will do".  By speaking my truth,  it allowed someone to believe in me. She has a spirit of sparking people. I was symbolically 'on fire'. I took the plunge and took the training, I started following my heart instead of worrying about everything. Before I even finished my first training I was hired. Things were unfolding in the most organic and natural way.  I felt joy again. I felt at peace and yes, I became an awesome yoga teacher.
 
Ruthie has continued to be an inspiration and mentor. When she started OTYF, I knew I had to lend my voice and pay forward the gifts her teaching gave me. I basically told her I was coming along to the Middle East. OTYF and  Ruthie showed me there is always opportunity, even in your darkest hour you can claim and create your life. For me, it started with a massage, a message and a light (Ruthie).
 
OTYF is a small non-profit, your contribution goes a long way. Please follow our journey as we bring unity, strength, and possibility to Israelis and Palestinians through the practice of yoga. Can yoga change lives? It definetly changed mine.
 


-Amber Thompson Yoga Extraordinaire

9 comments:

  1. Amber, thank you for sharing your story. You are right to see that connection with your own truth can save you from your own darkness and spring you into a universe of possibilities! Keep up the good work... the world knows when it sees light, yours AND Ruthie's, and it is powerful!

    May you continue in peace and joy.
    Amy (life-long devotee of Ruthie) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, Thank you for taking the time to read this post and most importantly for supporting OTYF. You are powerful and I look forward to hearing about your journey as well. Go for the big stuff. Nothing else will do. With Love, Amber T.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful and powerful words. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking of you and thanks for your support. When I read comments like this I remember why I am putting in all the hours and working as hard as I do. Bless. -Amber T.

      Delete
  3. Amber, you have been that light for many others. Thank you for sharing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, I haven't ever thought as myself as a light. Thank you for your thoughtful post. OTYF is lucky to have supporters who will take the time to comment. Keep holding the light :) Big heart love. -Amber T.

      Delete
  4. An awesome revolutionizing story....thanks for sharing. Inspiring to all, as we all have struggles & truths to work through. A great pay forward too....Enjoy! :-) Inge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May you be blessed with light and love. I hope you will share your love with the world. There is something special about you, I can just sense it.

      Delete
  5. I am completely re-inspired by Amber's post. I couldn't sleep last night because I was so jazzed that these amazing women are working with me!

    ReplyDelete