Sunday, July 31, 2011

Humility

I'm thinking more and more about humility. I had a conversation with a newly married couple in the hotel in Ramallah, and we talked about humility. How unless we deal with one another with kindness and a sense of our own humility, we will not know peace, whether in ourselves or between people. They were so sweet. She was 18 and he was 22. She had never been out of Palestine and he was taking her to Los Angeles! We talked about the beach, Santa Monica, how there were gyms in the US just for women. I told them I was Jewish and they were honestly surprised that I had come to Ramallah, but they were glad. I told them I came to learn and see for myself. How could I pretend to know anything at all if I hadn't at least set foot in Palestine?? They thanked me, and I was honored to be with them for 30 minutes. They talked to me with humility and I talked to them with humility, none of us knowing about the other before we talked. We were able to hear one another over our own narrative. And I am so thankful it happened. My life is richer for those 30 minutes.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Jerusalem

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! Thanks for sharing that!

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruthie! This is so crazy! You are there creating this amazing foundation for lasting change, and I am here learning about how to do that same thing!
    This quote is out of the Ahimsa Center's Newsletter here in Pomona, CA.

    "Ahimsa (nonviolence) is rooted in courage and compassion, fearlessness and forgiveness. It connotes reverence for all life. It evokes civility and promotes lasting peace and justice in society"

    You are so right, it starts with humility and realizing our connectedness. Save travels here onward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ruthie, seeing and listening -two senses that we need to do more of
    Really nice post and it shows such gratefulness.

    ReplyDelete